Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 38: Children Who Walk in Truth

3 John 1:4, I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

Sometimes parenting feels like a crapshoot -- sometimes more crap, sometimes more shoot. I know several parents of strong faith whose children grew wayward as they hit their teen years. Some were outwardly rebellious but others hid behind a pious facade. I think of the pressures facing teens, the siren song of the party peers, and I think what a limited time our family has before we reach that stage.

Of course, parenting is not a crapshoot. My child's every move is within God's realm. But I often find myself fearful -- am I missing an opportunity that will make a difference in their lives? Are my own insufficiencies and sins obscuring the passing along of my beliefs or making me appear hypocritical instead of a sinner in desperate need of grace? 

I look at Huckle, who regular sighs on Sunday mornings. "Mom, church is sooo boring." Am I stifling his faith? Should we be doing something differently?  How should I respond? (Lord, give me wisdom.)

I look at Sally, who still freezes up when asked to pray aloud and does not show any curiosity about the faith. Is her heart hard, or is she just introspective? Should I sit tight and simply wait for her faith to grow? (Lord, give me wisdom.)

On friends' advice, we no longer make our children take turns praying aloud. Instead, we model prayer and a prayerful approach to life. This is working for Sally. Huckle still likes to take a turn (especially since his prayers are often shorter than Mom's, especially when he's hungry) but also likes to listen. And then I hear with pleasure his new prayers picking up phrases and concepts I used. Joy! My son is listening even if it sometimes seems as if his body never stops moving.

A few nights ago, we somehow finished our bedtime chapter of The Wizard of Oz early, giving Sally a bonus 20 minutes before bedtime. This is practically unheard of -- usually we're running late and Mom is frazzled because YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE IN BED 20 MINUTES AGO AND LOOK AT THIS MESSY ROOM! Sally and I looked at each other incredulously. Where did this extra time come from? How should she spend it? "I know!," Sally said. "I'll do my devotions." And she picked up her little pink Bible, a devotion book that has been collecting dust on her floor for a few months, and a book of children's prayers, bought in an earlier, failed attempt to give her words to pray aloud. And, without my prompting -- and almost without remembering my goodnight kiss -- Sally set to work, spending her extra 20 minutes with God. Joy! Great joy!

I pray that my children hold fast to their faith and continue to grow in wisdom and truth.

Lord, my precious children are in your hands. Please hold them tight and never let them go.

No comments: