Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 36: Cloudsourcing

Husband now backs up my computer files via "cloudsourcing."  Here's the definition of cloudsourcing, in case you aren't a techno-geek:
Cloudsourcing is a process by which specialized cloud products and services and their deployment and maintenance is outsourced to and provided by one or more cloud service providers.
All the mystery is cleared up now, right? Your metaphorical clouds have parted and all that? Nope, I don't get it either. I also don't understand how cloudsourcing could be more secure than leaving my files quietly stewing in my private computer. Doesn't it sound as if my precious writings and all those photos of my kids are being chopped into bits and thrown into the stratosphere? I imagine a few of my words and a picture of my cat's left ear falling in someone's backyard next time it rains. However, it's good to be current, to keep up with security measures as identity thieves and hackers grow more bold and clever. I suppose keeping files only on a personal computer is the modern equivalent to keeping one's money under the mattress.

But never mind the actual definition of cloudsourcing -- what I really like is the word. It's probably a play on "crowdsourcing," which I do understand: outsourcing a task to the undefined public rather than specific people (eg, paid employees). [Appropriately enough, that definition is based on an entry from Wikipedia, a crowdsourced encyclopedia.]

I also love analogies, and I think the words "crowdsourcing"  and "cloudsourcing" make a great one.

Question: Would you rather have your joy crowdsourced or cloudsourced? 

Crowdsourced means your joy is dependent on people, that undefined public. If your happiness comes from other people's good opinion of you or from the pleasures of friends and family, then your joy will be incomplete. I'm constantly guilty of focusing on this. For example, I struggle with caring too much about other people's good opinion. I shamefully admit this: I worry about making a good impression on strangers in the grocery store. I waste time wondering how they perceive me. Do I come across as intelligent? Kind? Beautiful? What will they think when they see 4 cartons of ice cream in my cart? Do I look as stylish as that lady over there? Why, oh why didn't I change out of these ratty yoga pants before running out to buy fruit?? It ruins my day when someone honks their horn at me while driving. I get defensive. I don't like to be considered in the wrong, even if I didn't do anything wrong.

Crowdsourcing joy is ridiculous, when you really think about it. We people are fickle and imperfect and selfish and -- well -- mortal. Even if you add together every person you love -- parents, friends, spouse, children -- this crowd cannot provide unending joy. They make mistakes. They have their own interests. They need to sleep.

You know where I'm going with cloudsourcing, you clever person you! I need to cloudsource my joy. I need to shoot my needs heavenward; I need to make God my focus. That sort of joy is unending and overflowing, like a sky full of clouds heavy with rain. When my joy is in Christ, then all those little bits of me can rain down on others as blessings, turning upward-facing joy into outward-facing joy.

How does the Bible suggest one makes one's "joy complete"? It's more than just loving God. It's living in unity with one another in God's love.

Philippians 2:1-4, Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves...

John 15:10-12, If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

I strive to go into that grocery store unconcerned about what others think of me, because I'm content and full-up in the Lord so that His joy overflows out of me and blesses all those shoppers in line behind me. Even the one wondering how someone could allow 4 cartons of ice cream in her home.

No comments: